After having several people ask me about this topic and doing some reading on the subject recently I figured I would put up some things most should know about the West Nile Virus. I will keep it short and sweet for you so let’s get into it.
- Most people who are infected don’t get very sick with only about 20% showing any symptoms.
- Symptoms are usually fever, headache, and other flu-like symptoms.
- Fewer that 1% get meningitis or encephalitis which can be fatal, which is more likely in people over 50 or those that with a weakened immune system.
- Anti-viral medications won’t help and there is no human vaccine.
- Insect repellent and protective clothing should be worn when outdoors for extended periods of time where mosquitoes are prominent.
- When choosing an insect repellent, choose one with DEET, picaridin, or lemon eucalyptus oil. These all are safe for children when used appropriately.
- Higher concentrations of repellents are longer lasting. So a repellent with 6% DEET will last for about 2 hours while a repellent with 20% DEET lasts about 4 hours.
Well that’s it for this edition of quick facts. If you have questions please use the comment section or email us email@example.com.
Thanks for reading and be sure to check out the rest of the site (T.I.R.) when you get a chance. Let us know what you think in the comment section below or on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
– Supreme Soul
Subscribe to the site on WordPress if you like this and other posts here at theintellution.com. You can also follow us on Twitter and Instagram @theintellution and be sure to like us on Facebook. Thanks again!!!